Tuesday, 28 November 2006
Dreaming of that mouth -Vincent Wm. Gagliostro and Saint Gael
Dear Shaded Viewers,
When I was in London last week I was having breakfast with my friend Mei Hui Liu and an old friend came over to our table. I had not seen Jeffrey Miller in over two decades and he told me that the next day he was coming to Paris and would I like to join him at his friends house for a late Thanksgiving dinner. I accepted immediately. I was the first person to arrive, even before my friend Jeffrey. As soon as I entered the apartment I was drawn to Vincent's paintings of Gael Garcia Bernal hanging on the wall in a series. I wanted to show them to you.
statement: 1. (with a predatory gleam in his eye):
His is truly “heaven’s mouth” — I thought, tearing his image from the magazine. (at least for the moment) the most beautiful mouth I had ever seen– Gael Garcia Bernal. I HAD MY NEW SUBJECT. Further retrieving images from numerous official and unofficial websites, it seemed I was moving from my original focus on his beauty to an encounter with my suppressed voyeuristic nature. Predatory nature. Musical nature. Music, because what I seemed to be on to was a kind of “sampling” much like a DJ/record producer does when creating a work. Studying his (GGB) film Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN, I started re-sequencing the images, removing bits here, adding bits there. For example, in one sequence Gael is fucking the girl companion of the road trip. By cropping her out of the movement and re-using the images I could bring my subject closer to my world of sex, desire and politics–three ideas inseparable in my fag world. This project has led me to explore my nature and find perhaps a new willingness to turn the cameras on me and my culture, gay men. GAGLIOSTRO
an animal that naturally preys on others : wolves are major predators of rodents
• figurative a rapacious, exploitative person or group : her wealth made her vulnerable to predators.
• figurative a company that tries to take over another. ORIGIN 1920s: from Latin predator ‘plunderer,’ from praedat- ‘seized as plunder,’ from the verb praedari (see predation ).
relating to or denoting an animal or animals preying naturally on others :
• figurative seeking to exploit or oppress others : a life destroyed by predatory biographers and yellow journalists.
a small part or quantity intended to show what the whole is like : investigations involved analyzing samples of handwriting.
• a specimen taken for scientific testing or analysis : a urine sample.
• Statistics a portion drawn from a population, the study of which is intended to lead to statistical estimates of the attributes of the whole population.
• a small amount of a food or other commodity, esp. one given to a prospective customer.
• a sound created by sampling.
verb [ trans. ] take a sample or samples of (something) for analysis : bone marrow cells were sampled | [as adj., with submodifier ] ( sampled) a survey of two hundred randomly sampled households.
• try the qualities of (food or drink) by tasting it.
• get a representative experience of : sample the pleasures of Saint Maarten.
• Electronics ascertain the momentary value of (an analog signal) many times a second so as to convert the signal to digital form.
• record or extract a small piece of music or sound digitally for reuse as part of a composition or song.
ORIGIN Middle English (as a noun): from an Anglo-Norman French variant of Old French essample ‘example.’ Current senses of the verb date from the mid 18th cent.
If you would like to see more of Vincent's art direction, print and film work, please visit his site:
Posted by diane pernet at 04:50 AM | Permalink
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Dreaming of that mouth -Vincent Wm. Gagliostro and Saint Gael:
I like it how it was drawn.
Posted by: payment bonds | Apr 12, 2011 8:38:10 AM
Beautiful, fascinating and inspiring work...everyone should see it ! Love the last sentence " crowded desert.............."ever so valid in our times.....
FASCINATE |ˌfasɪneɪt| verb [ trans. ] (usu. be fascinated) draw irresistibly the attention and interest of (someone) : I've always been fascinated by other cultures | [ trans. ] she was fascinated to learn about this strange land. • archaic (esp. of a snake) deprive (a person or animal) of the ability to resist or escape by the power of a look or gaze : the serpent fascinates its prey.
Posted by: LEX | Nov 28, 2006 8:45:39 AM